ECQ Shenanigans: 'Cookerism' Season 1

I spent the first few weeks of review classes suspension pretty much doing nothing productive. I would spend most of the day in bed watching movies or binge-watching series in Netflix. I would sometimes go out and walk to the supermarket to buy groceries, but it’s the same old “Netflix-and-chill” routine. Although, I just remember now that there were attempts to take down notes (aka copy what was written on the board from photos I’ve taken in class). Those note-taking attempts at productivity didn’t last long, but at least there’s that. Haha.

It has already been 40 something days since classes were suspended and 35 (? I’m not so sure lol) days since Cebu City officially implemented the Enhanced Community Quarantine (for those wondering, yes po I’m in Cebu for boards review hehe). 2 weeks into the class suspension (and the Luzon-wide community quarantine), I suddenly developed fever which spiked up to 39°C (not COVID, btw hahaha). I’ll be sharing that story in a separate blog post (Getting Sick in the Time of COVID-19: The Paranoia), but I guess when I recovered, that was when I thought of trying out something new, maybe learn a new skill? This was also influenced by my father pushing me to learn how to cook. (Hello Pa. If you’re reading this, this was where most of my allowance went. Haha. Beke nemen.)

So, now... COOKERISM. I thought about this ‘segment’ 5 days after I got better from the fever. This was the time na napadalhan na ako ng allowance and I could finally try to cook the things that I’ve been wanting to cook for days. In this blog, I’ll be sharing with you the recipes (char feeling cookerist na talaga gh0rL?).

Cookerism S01E01 – Carbonara-Style Spaghetti
(Good for 7)
INGREDIENTS
(These were the ingredients that I used. Daming kulang na ingredients because this was my first time and low-cost din po ito, but they said it tasted good naman. Haha. You can add more to the list if you want. Whatever suits you.)
• cooked pasta
• 2 pouches 200 g Del Monte Carbonara-Style Spaghetti Sauce
• 1 fist (yes, it’s a unit of measurement hahaha) ground pork
• 6 slices spiced ham, cut into small squares
• 1 cup water (supposedly, pasta water but I used purified water lol)
• 1 onion, minced
• 1 garlic, minced
• 1 small bar cheese (yung naka-pouch lang po)
• salt

PROCEDURE
1. Cook the ham. Once it’s cooked, set aside. 
2. Sauté the onion (yes I know garlic should go first, but for some reason I sauté the minced onion first). Add the garlic shortly after.
3. Add the ground pork and sauté together with the onion and garlic.
4. Sprinkle some salt.
5. Once the meat is cooked, add 1 cup of water.
6. Mix or stir? Basta paghaluin (di ko na alam English. Medyo na-bobo na po hahaha)
7. Add the carbonara-style spaghetti sauce. 
8. Paghaluin again for a while and let it simmer.
9. Add half of cooked ham bits, and half of the cheese (cubed).
10. Let it simmer again for a while. - now this is the part where you’re supposed to taste the sauce and add whatever else you think is necessary to satisfy your taste but we were too excited so we forgot to taste it and proceeded to... –
11. Add the cooked pasta and mix it all up.
12. Transfer the dish to your serving plates. Sprinkle the remaining half of the cooked ham bits and grated cheese for toppings.
13. Take photos #ParaSaBlog and #ForECQMemories

Carbonara-Style Spaghetti. More photos on my Facebook Page, SOJOURN TO MANY MOONS.

Cookerism S01E02 – Cinnamon Cheese Sticks
(Yields up to 60 pcs)
INGREDIENTS
• lumpia wrapper (white) 
• cinnamon powder 
• brown sugar 
• cheese, 220 g. 
• clean water (to seal the roll) 

PROCEDURE 
1. Cut the lumpia wrappers into half. 
2. Slice the cheese according to your own preference. 
 3. In an empty bowl, mix brown sugar and cinnamon powder. Adjust the amount of sugar and/or cinnamon added according to your liking. 
4. Roll the cheese in the sugar-cinnamon mixture. 
5. Put it on the lumpia wrapper and sprinkle a little (as in konti lang talaga) bit of sugar+cinnamon. 
6. Roll the cheese like how you roll your lumpia. 
7. Deep fry until golden brown.

Cinnamon Cheese Sticks. More photos on my Facebook Page, SOJOURN TO MANY MOONS.

Cookerism S01E03 – Low-cost DIY Choco Mallow Pies
I learned about this DIY choco mallow pie through the internet. I don’t take notes on recipes and feel like depending on my memory. So on my first attempt immediately after I was already feeling better from the fever, I failed M I S E R A B L Y. What was supposed to be choco mallow pies, turned into burnt choco mallow toasts. I tried it the second time and felt like I nailed it so here you go~ 
INGREDIENTS 
• 1 loaf bread 
• 1 pack krimstix (I used flat tops in my first attempt. Krimstix is the better alternative to expensive choco spreads.) 
• big vanilla marshmallows, halved 
• 1 beaten egg 
• bread crumbs 
• clean water 

PROCEDURE 
1. Remove the crust or edges of the sliced bread. 
2. Flatten the bread. In my case, I used a glass (as in the baso you use for drinking) because we do not have a rolling pin here. 
3. Spread 1 stick of Krimstix in 1 slice of bread. 
4. Add 2 halves of vanilla marshmallows. 
5. Fold the bread and seal it to close by pressing on the edges using your fingers dipped in water. 
6. Dip the ‘pie’ in beaten egg, but not too long. Just enough for it to be covered, even lightly, with egg. 
7. Coat bread crumbs. 
8. Deep fry until golden brown. 
9. Serve while hot. 

Low-cost Choco Mallow Pie. More photos on my Facebook Page, SOJOURN TO MANY MOONS.

These were the only three recipes I’ve tried so far since I was hesitant to spend more for cookerism, considering na I’m gonna be spending a portion of my (probably 1-month) allowance and I did all these in the first week of April. LOL. The next time I cook, I’ll probably just be making use of potatoes, camote, and saging na saba. Yes, I’m a changed person now. Hahaha. Tbh, kasukaon na kos de lata but expensive magluto ng legit na ulam so patatas, camote, saging muna ang “change”. Hahaha whatever, thanks for reading! ♡

---

Hi there. If you’ve reached this far, comment “Proud of you gh0rL.” Because wala lang. Hahaha. But, char only!!! :) Curious lang if people are actually reading my posts. Hahaha!

CONNECT WITH ME:
Instagram - @annamharize_
Twitter - @annamharize_ 

Comments

Popular Posts